Skill 10: Female Catheter Care
Female Catheter Care
- 1 Hand Towel
- 6 Washcloths
- 2 Towels
- 2 Basins
- 2 Chuc pads
- 1 Pair of gloves
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patients door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the drapes)
- Wash Hands
- Check patient ID.
- Gather Supplies and linens and place on tray table & cover table with towel.
- Fill basins with one inch of water each, checking the temperature and place 2 washcloths in each.
- Put on gloves.
- Cover each basin with washcloth to keep temperature.
- Have resident roll to the side slightly. Remove old chuc pad & replace if one is there.
- Place clean chuc pad under resident.
- Have resident roll in opposite direction to ensure chuc pad is in place.
- Place a towel over the naval area to expose as little skin as possible.
- Check water temperature with wrist, dry wrist on barrier towel.
- Using the washcloth from the “cleaning basin”, lather a little soap.
- Using the four corner technique (See notes for the 4 corner technique), clean one side of the labia, change position on the cloth, clean the other side labia, change position on cloth, clean meatus (Middle), change cloths.
- Place dirty cloth in basin not before taking out clean cloth.
- Separate the catheter tube in four section (in your head), a top left, top right, bottom left, and bottom right. Always hold the catheter like your pinching it (not actually applying pinching force), 2 inchs before the vagina with your index and thumb. NEVER PULL OR APPLY PRESSURE ON THE CATHETER,
- Clean the tube, always down and away from the patient. After each section switch position on the washcloth.
- Repeat all steps with the cloth from “rinse” basin.
- Pat dry using different sections of the dry hand towel in same sequence as above.
- Remove dirty damp chuck pad using same roll process as above, and throw away.
- Replace with a new chuc pad. Make sure the patient stays covered.
- Now to clean up.
- Pour water into toilet, rinse with sculding water and dump TWICE, pat dry with paper towel and store using a barrier paper towel.
- Place dirty linens in hamper.
- Wipe sink area, take off gloves, wash hands.
- Give patient their call button.
- Ask how they would like the head of the bed.
- The four corner method works like this. Your index finger will always be occupying a corner in the cloth. After that corner is dirty switch to another clean corner. While grabing and holding the dirty corner/corners in your palm. Never let the clean corners touch the dirty corners. Only use one hand never use your other hand to change. This takes a little pratice.