Skill 11: Bedpan Placement
2 Pairs of gloves
1 Chuck pad
bed pan/fracture pan
1 Towel (To cover table)
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patients door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the drapes)
- Wash Hands
- Check patients ID (Make sure its the right patient)
- If patient is sitting up ask them if you can lay them down then do so.
- Have patient roll to their side and place chuck pad underneath them.
- Place fracture pan/bedpan underneath the residents buttocks, with the thick side of the pan forward.
- Raise the head of the residents bed to sitting postion. Give them toilet paper and call button.
- Remove gloves, wash hands and step out of the room.
- Re-Enter the room when called or their finished
- Wash Hands, and put on gloves.
- wash their hands with the wet cloth.
- Lower their bed to laying position. Take toilet paper and put on table.
- Have them roll on their side and take out the dirty bed pan and chuck pad all at once. Cover patient with their sheet.
- Go to the bathroom with the chuck pad and bed pan.
- Throw away the chuck pad.
- Pour the contents of the bed pan in the toilet.
- Rinse twice with scalding water. Pouring into the toilet. Pat dry the pan.
- Bedpan must be stored with a clean paper towel.
- Remove gloves, wash hands,raise the head of bed, give them the call button.