Skill 12: Measuring and Recording Content of Urinary Drainage Bag
Measuring and Recording Content of Urinary Drainage Bag
Pair of gloves
2 Alcohol pads
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patients door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the drapes)
- Wash Hands
- Check patients ID (Make sure its the right patient)
- Gather supplies
- Put chuck pad on ground under urinary bag.
- Put gloves on.
- Place graduated cylinder on chuck pad.
- Open alcohol pads and place them on the chuck pad (Just open them enough to remove when needed)
- Wipe the end of the tube with a alcohol pad.
- Open urinary bag and drain into graduate, with out touching any side of the graduate.
- Clean the tip of the bag with the remaining alcohol pad.
- Make sure the urinary bag is in the proper position it must be below the bladder.
- Wrap chuck pad around graduate and set on the back of the toilet or counter top.
- Measure the amount in the graduate.
- Empty the graduate into the toilet.
- At the sink rinse the graduate twice with scalding water dumping it into the toilet.
- Pat dry with clean paper towel and store with a clean barrier paper towel.
- Check the tubing to make sure its not tangled.
- Remove gloves and wash hands.
- Give resident their call button.
- Record fluid measurement.
- Ask how they would like the head of bed left.
- Un-provide privacy.
- Make sure to remember the measurement after taking it.