Skill 15: Partial Bed Bath
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patient’s door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the curtain)
- Wash Hands
- Check patient’s ID (Make sure its the right patient)
- Gather supplies
- Cover tray table.
- Check water temperature and fill basins with one inch of water each,
- place on tray table and put the washcloths in.
- Raise patient into sitting position.
- Check water temperature with wrist then dry on barrier towel.
- Clean eyes and face with no soap (One corner for each eye stroke,
- from inner to outer of eye changing positions.)
- Place cloth in basin and pat resident’s face dry.
- Remove patient’s gown and cover with a blanket, don’t leave them exposed.
- (Towel should be from toes to their shoulders.
Place towel over chest, lather cloth with soap, Repeat cleaning process on neck,
- cleaning from middle out, using a different side of the mitt for each stroke.
- Rinse neck with same process, pat dry.
- Place towel under one arm laying on bed.
- Wring out cloth and lather with a small amount of soap, make mitt.
- Support patient’s arm under the elbow, using long strokes wipe top of the arm with front mitt, the underarm with backside of mitt, and armpit with the fingertip edge of the mitt.
Repeat process on other arm with cloth from “rinse basin”.
Pull down bath blanket and place towel over naval.
Use cleaning and rinsing process on chest, using circular strokes, each side of the chest with different side of mitt, rinse properly , pat dry, cover resident with blanket.
Ask patient to roll onto their side & place towel along side of back. Using cleaning process on back, using circular strokes, each side of the back with a different side of the mitt, rinse properly, pat dry.
Patient should relieve back massage. Place small amount of lotion in hands and rub, in order to warm it. ASK FIRST IF THEY WANT LOTION.
Rub patient’s back in circular motion starting at the lower back and working up, pat dry any excess lotion.
Remove towel and have patient roll back to lying position.
Put clean gown & place dirty linens in hamper. Pour water into sink, rinse twice, pat dry with clean paper towel.
Using a clean paper towel as a barrier put away basins, soaps, and lotion.
Remove gloves wash hands.
Give patient the call button, ask how they would like the head of bed.
Un-Provide for privacy.