Skill 17: Range of motion
Range of motion
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patients door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the drapes)
- Wash Hands
- Check patients ID (Make sure its the right patient)
- Lay the patient down.
- You will do three repetition of each exercise.
- They should be done in slow movements.
- You must support the resident with both arms.
- You must ascertain the residents comfort level visually and verbally.
- ONLY EXPOSE THE LIMB YOUR WORKING ON!
- Exercise One: Shoulder Extension- Arm is down by the patients side, with one of your hands on their wrist and one hand under the upper arm, raise straight arm to the front and over head.
- Exercise Two: Shoulder Abduction- Arm is down the residents side, with one of your hands on their wrist and one under the upper arm mover straight arm to the side of the residents body.
- Exercise Three: Shoulder Adduction- Arm is down by the residents side, with one of your hands on their wrist and one under the upper arm, cross straight arm over front of body.
- Exercise Four: Shoulder Rotation- Arm is down by the residents side, with one of your hands on their wrist and the other under the elbow, bend arm at elbow and place at shoulder level, move the forearm down toward the body.
- Exercise Five: Elbow Flexion- (Bicep Curls) hold wrist and place other hand under elbow, bend arm at elbow.
- Exercise Six: Wrist Rotation- Hold wrist and hand rotating wrist in a circular motion (four sides) bottom, side, up, side.
- Exercise Seven: Finger Flexion- Hold wrist, take each finger individually and bend back , forward, middle(Each finger must be done three times).
- Ask patient if they would like to sit up.
- Give resident their call button.
- Wash Hands
- Un-Provide for privacy.