Skill 19: Wheelchair Transfer
- Gait belt
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on door
- Greet patient by name
- Introduce yourself and what your doing
- Wash hands
- Put on gloves
- Check patients ID
- Bring wheelchair to the end of the bed, it must be alligned with the footboard, so they do not hit it with thier feet when they are being moved.
- LOCK THE WHEELS AND MOVE THE FOOT REST OUT TO SIDES OF CHAIR.
- Ask patient if you can sit them up in their bed, raise head of bed.
- Put one arm behind their back and one arm under their knees.
- On the count of 3, sit them up and pivot them so that their feet are dangling over the side of the bed.
- Ask them if they are feeling okay.
- Put on their shoes or non skid socks.
- Put on the gait belt just below the diaphragm, be sure it is tight enough only two fingers worth of space.
- Plant the patients feet firmly on the ground.
- Move chair closer to you and angle the front slightly, be sure the front of the chair is right up against the bed.
- Wing out the front wheels of the chair.
- Place the patients knees between yours and brace them with your knees.
- Ask the resident into seat. Make sure legs feel back of seat before sitting and control DOWN in seat.
- Have patient hug their se;f, from behind them, wrap your arms around their shoulders and on the count of three, scoot them back completely in the chair.
- Check if patients back is against the chair.
- Take the gait belt off.
- Lift patients legs and place them on footrest.
- Give patient their call button, un-provide for privacy.
- Wash hands.