Skill 3: Hair And Nail Care
Always let the patient choose how they want their hair combed, brushed or styled. Make sure you place a towel over the persons chest to make sure their clothes do not become soiled. Always brush/comb hair from the bottom up as this will help untangle the hair. Certified Nurses Assistants never nut toe nails. Only a Podiatrist (foot doctor) can do this.
Orange wood Stick
Emery Nail file
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patients door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the drapes)
- Wash Hands and put on gloves.
- Check patients ID (Make sure its the right patient)
- Gather linens and supplies and place on tray table covered with a towel.
- Ask the patient if its ok to raise the head of bed. Then raise to 60 degrees.
- Fill basin with one inch of water and check temperature with wrist.
- Place towel on patients chest, ask them how they would like their hair.
- Place patients hands in basin to soak while you do their hair, make sure fingernails are in the basin.
- Start at the bottom of the hair and work your way up getting knots out if any.
- Comb, the top, back and sides. (Make sure to comb all areas).
- Take hands out of basin and place on dry towel (Pat hand dry with wash cloth)& between fingers.
- Clean nails with orange wood stick(Swipe under nail and wipe off stick on the clean towel, swipe and wipe each time each nail is done, start going left to right.
- File finger nails from middle out wards (Check to make sure there are no sharp edges)
- Ask resident if they would like they want their hands rubbed with lotion (Warm in hands first).
- Rub hand with the lotion and then pat dry extra lotion with wash cloth.
- Now your done and its clean up time
- At sink rinse out basin at least 2 times, pat dry with clean paper towel (Never set basin down while you reach for a paper towel.
- Store basin with clean paper towel as barrier for basin, file, stick, lotion bottle, and comb.
- Put dirty linens in hamper
- Remove gloves & wash hands
- Give patient call light and ask how they want the head of bed, un-provide privacy.
- Always use a barrier (Folded paper towel) when putting items away.
- Always notify the patient what your doing. For example when your going thorough their stuff to get the supplies.
- Always roll the towel on the chest down and away when putting it on and down and away when taking it off. You never want particles blown towards the patient.
- Never leave the patient without putting the call light in their hand (Never say its right here “Joe- the patient”) actually put it in their hand.