Skill 6: Feeding A Resident
Feeding A Resident
It is important to have the resident eat from each item on the plate. Take one bite from each item then off a drink.
(No gloves, as for some people can be allergic to them)
Chair (For you)
Water Pitcher (Filled)
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patients door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the drapes)
- Wash Hands
- Check patients ID (Make sure its the right patient)
- Gather linens and supplies and place on tray table covered with a towel.
- At sink wet a washcloth making it warm
- Ask the patient if its ok to raise the head of bed. Then raise to 60 degrees.
- Cover patients chest with protector and sit in chair at eye level with patient.
- Check patients diet card and make sure its correct with patients name.
- Pour water into cup from pitcher.
- Offer patient to clean their hands with the warm/wet wash cloth
- Ask patient what food they would like to eat first then start to feed with the SPOON not all the way full. (Go in a clock wise fashion eating different things each time)
- About every three bites ask if they want a drink and give them one if they do.
- Encourage to eat as much as they can and pat dry mouth as needed with wash cloth.
- Make sure you are communicating with the resident throughout the meal.
- When the resident states they are full, encourage one more bite.
- Put food tray back on shelf and tell resident you are going to leave them in an upright position for digestion.
- Place dirty linens in hamper
- Leave water if allowed
- Wash hands
- Give patient call light
- Un-provide for privacy
- Record food and water on intake chart.
- Try to encourage the patient at all times to eat more and drink more, especially if its required that the patient has to meet a daily limit.