Skill 8: Changing An Occupied Bed
Changing An Occupied Bed
Keep wrinkles out of beds to decrease risks of bed/pressure sores. Never Shake or fluff linens as this can spread particles.
- Fitted Sheet
- Flat Sheet
- Pillow Case
How to perform the skill:
- Knock on patients door, then enter.
- Greet patient by name and introduce yourself and what your doing
- Provide for privacy (By shutting the drapes)
- Wash Hands and put on gloves.
- Check patients ID (Make sure its the right patient)
- Gather linens and supplies and place on tray table covered with a towel.
- If patient is sitting up ask them if you can lay them down flat.
- Raise the bed to make it easier for you.
- Have patient roll to their opposite side you are working on.
- When patient rolls over adjust pillow to middle of their head.
- Remove dirty linen by rolling and tucking sheet under resident.
- Place clean fitted sheet on working side of bed and get wrinkles out.
- Ask patient to roll over towards you and help scoot them towards you.
- Adjust pillow again to center of head.
- Do the same with the sheet on opposite side, pulling the dirty out from under with the clean one following to cover where the dirty sheet is coming off.
- As you pull dirty linens off place them in the dirty linens hamper.
- Unfold and place flat sheet over dirty sheet. Remember to unfold away from residents face, so start at the top and unfold down.
- Ask resident to hold top of clean sheet.
- Slowly pull and roll out dirty linen from under clean sheet, standing at the foot of the bed.
- Place dirty linens in hamper.
- Tuck flat sheet under mattress (Bottom) making hospital corners (See definitions) & make sure there is room for foot movement by pinching the sheet above the feet and pulling up a little.
- Replace the pillowcase, make sure not to shake the pillow, the way to properly change a pillowcase is to pull the old one off (Put it in the dirty hamper), then turn the clean case inside out, stick your hand in it like a glove and grab the pillow, pull the pillow through and your done.
- Take off gloves.
- Wash Hands
- Un-provide for privacy
- Ask patient how they would like their head of bed..
- Give patient their call light.
- Every time you change sides put the safety rails up.
- Keep patient covered at all times.